[OS X TeX] Re: [NTG-context] TEXMFMAIN problem in gwTeX (font installation)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun May 1 11:28:02 CEST 2005

On Apr 29, 2005, at 15:03, Ville Voipio wrote (on the ConTeX list, but 
this also is interesting for all gwTeX users):

> I have spent some very interesting time trying to install the TeXlive 
> fonts by using texfont type-tmf.dat. What happened was that a lot of 
> complaints about "unknown subpath ../afm/public/urw" were given even 
> though the path should have been there. This is a known problem, has 
> been on several mailing lists, as well.
> After a lot of thinking it became clear that texfont was really unable 
> to find any font files. By browsing through the texfont.pl, the reason 
> became evident: In gwTeX the root variables are:
>    TEXMFMAIN = /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
>    TEXMFTE = /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex
> The problem here is that all the TeXlive fonts (and almost everthing 
> else) is really in the TEXMFTE tree.
> My quick'n'dirty was to make new file type-tmf-gwtex.dat by replacing 
> all occurrences of TEXMFMAIN by TEXMFTE. Running that one in batch 
> mode works fine.
> Problem solved -- this time. But the solution is not a beautiful one. 
> Could someone suggest something cleaner? Or has this been solved 
> already (I tried googling after the answer without success)?

TEXMFMAIN in TL is now reserved for only the stuff that is directly 
related to the binaries (like the pool files or anything that needs to 
stay in sync - grammar wise - with the binaries and scripts). In TeX 
Live the 'foundation' now lives in .../texmf-dist (TEXMFDIST) and not 
in ../texmf

In gwTeX, there are a few foundation trees: TEXMFTE for the teTeX tree 
and TEXMFGW for my additions

I think it is a simplification by texfont that it has a hardwired 
location. TeX is not set up that way. Probably the correct solution is 
for texfont itself to act in a more dynamic way, e.g. by trying to 
locate with kpsewhich some elements that are supposed to be there 
already and take th eresult of that search as the settin for what it 
now assumes to be hardwired.

In the meantime: your fix is correct.


--------------------- Info ---------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
           & FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

More information about the macostex-archives mailing list