[OS X TeX] Hyphenation

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 27 15:49:09 CEST 2005

On 27 mrt 2005, at 12:59, Hans van Maanen wrote:

> In the Dutch language macro dutch.dtx, we can use  "-  to hyphenate a
> word while still enabling the rest of the word to be hyphenated, so
> that common Dutch words like diphosphate-phosphohydrolase do not
> result in underfull boxes.
>
> I would like to use this as standard behaviour, so that every  -  in
> my text will be understood as  "- and has full hyphenation. I'm sure
> it's just a \renewcommand somewhere, but I don't know how to do this.

Actually this is _very_ tricky, and there are good reasons not to do
this. It would mean to make - active for the whole document. The
standard babel module for dutch makes " active (as do many other
language modules) and the side effects of this a re fairly well
understood. making - active is not easy to do if you want to limit the
side effects. It certainly isn't a simple \renewcommand (there is no
command).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>