[OS X TeX] Japanese XeTeX examples

Kino quinon at rio.odn.ne.jp
Sun Mar 27 15:11:19 CEST 2005

On 27 Mar 2005, at 17:45, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 27 Mar 2005, at 3:11 PM, Kino wrote:
>>
>> I forgot to explain: what I call "standard glyph" is character shape
>> defined in JIS X 0208:1997.
>
> Based on some quick experiments, it looks to me like the Expert glyphs
> are a superset of the NLC ones. Is this correct?

You are correct in general understanding.

A bit of history... however don't swallow my words. I may be wrong as
I'm not an expert. I ask those who understand Japanese to read:
<http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/internet/www/column/ogata/>

Roughly speaking, character set and character shapes used in ordinary
Japanese fonts are defined in JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards).
There are many versions of JIS and most of them are disastrous for
professional needs. Not only because the character set was very poor --
6000 characters or so -- but also because many simplified type shapes
adopted in JIS 1983/1990/2000 looked very odd and ugly. So Adobe
defined alternative and *good* type faces as expert glyphs, which have
been adopted by many commercial CID fonts.

Simplified character shapes of JIS 1983/1990/2000 shocked many
non-professional Japanese people too. Thus, in 2000, NLC (National
Language Council) published a recommendation for the character set and
character shapes of Japanese fonts.

As both Adobe expert characters and NLC characters are based on the
commonest type design in printing, many of them are overlapped.

And most of NLC character shapes have been adopted JIS 0213:2004.

On OS X, what is called JIS 0213 is not JIS 0213:2004 but JIS
0213:2000. Hopefully they will correct it in Tiger.

> Also, in this document, what does it mean if the new character is
> marked with '*' instead of 'n' or 'e'?

Ah, sorry. I have forgotten the pdf contained Japanese characters.
Those files were created a few years ago.

Characters marked with e are defined in expt only.
Characters marked with n are defined in nlck only.
Characters marked with * are defined in both expt and nlck.

And please see the following documents if you have not.

<http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/font/5078.Adobe-Japan1
-6.pdf>
<http://examples.oreilly.de/english_examples/nutshell/cjkv/adobe/
aj16.tar.Z>