[OS X TeX] Boustrophedon typesetting?

John McChesney-Young panis at pacbell.net
Thu Mar 24 15:51:47 CET 2005

Linda Lanz wrote in part:

>I was wondering if anyone knows of a package
>that can do boustrophedon typesetting? ... Sometimes it
involves rotating the characters, other times not ...
>It's not urgent, but it is something I'd like to be able to do to
>demonstrate various writing systems to students.

A check of Google groups:

http://groups-beta.google.com/

with:

boustrophedon group:comp.text.tex

turned up an unanswered query from 1994 and a possible solution from
2000, which at least in theory allows you to mirror the characters as
you said you'd like to be able to do.

If a *TeX option doesn't work out, a fall-back choice might be
Mellel, which added boustrophedon capability in mid-2003:

http://www.redlers.com/mellel.html

http://www.redlers.com/20030624.html

Also, it's not quite what you're looking for and I'm probably the
least-qualified person on the list to offer advice on it, but I
believe that vim might let you (relatively?) easily switch back and
forth from L-R/R-L - this might be more than you'd want to deal with,
unless of course you're already conversant with the program.

John
--

*** John McChesney-Young  **  panis~at~pacbell.net  **   Berkeley,
California, U.S.A.  ***