[OS X TeX] New List: SemiTeX (*Tex for the Semitic Languages)

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Mar 24 15:13:51 CET 2005

Hi,

(My apologies for cross-postings)

I would like to announce a new mailing list that I have created called
"SemiTeX."

This is intended to be a forum for people concerned with typesetting
Arabic, Hebrew, Aramaic/Syriac, Amharic, and any other Semitic and/or
right-to-left languages using the various flavors of *TeX (LaTeX,
XeTeX, ConTeXt, etc).

Issues that I foresee being relevant include (but are not limited to):

- Font issues related to the Semitic languages
- Formatting issues related to formatting right-to-left text
- Issues related to editors useful for right-to-left languages

I have created the list because I thought it would be useful to have a
forum in which people can feel free to ask detailed questions specific
to typesetting Semitic without having to worry about boring others, and
in the hope that having a forum like this might help create some
critical mass of interest for creating an coherent approach to using
the Semitic languages in TeX.

The list is currently configured as "closed" (the list owner - myself -
adds subscribers, in order to eliminate spam as much as possible),
"unmoderated" (postings go straight out to subscribers), "digested"
(you can get messages in daily digest form if you choose), and
"archived" (the archives are currently available only to subscribers).

If you wish to join, please send me an email including the email
address you wish to be subscribed under, as well as the name you wish
to have used.

Thanks,

Fred Hoyt

Frederick M. Hoyt