[OS X TeX] TeXShop/PdfTeX output resolution at 2400 dpi

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jun 25 01:31:49 CEST 2005

Le 24 juin 05 à 22:38, Aaron Jackson a écrit :

> On Jun 24, 2005, at 4:31 PM, Josep M.Font wrote:
>
>> A related question: If I am using the standard GW TeX distribution
>> along with TeXShop, and not using any font-related package --or
>> using "mathpazo" together with "courier" and "helvet"--, how do I
>> know which kind of fonts I am using ?
>
> The log file or console output will tell you what type of fonts are
> being used.  However, unless something is wrong, pdflatex will
> always use the postscript version of any font before the bit mapped
> version including "mathpazo", "courier"and  "helvet".

mathpazo is Palatino as serif font, plus a combinaison of Palatino,
Symbol and Computer Modern (through virtual fonts) for maths. As for
how to know which font is included, you can look at the end of the
console window, as just said. Or you can open the PDF file in Adobe
Reader, and look at the Fonts tab in the document properties: outline
fonts should be characterized as PostScript Type 1 or TrueType fonts,
and bitmap fonts as PostScript Type 3 IIRC; I don't know how OpenType
fonts are characterized.

Whether bitmaps or outlines are preferred for fonts is set at the
updmap level: for example, on my setup /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cf contains

     # Valid settings for dvipsPreferOutline are true / false:
     dvipsPreferOutline true

I don't know whether this setting affects pdfTeX as well. I would
assume yes, but the name seems to say no.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>