[OS X TeX] Printing wrong from Acrobat, right from TeXShop

Christian Heine christian at geosci.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jun 23 02:23:59 CEST 2005

Hi list

On 22/06/2005, at 8:08 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

>> Le 21 juin 05 à 23:46, Josep M.Font a écrit :
>>
>>> Since some weeks, a strange problem happens to me from time to
>>> time--not always: If I try to print from Acrobat Reader a pdf
>>> file produced by some TeX variety, some fonts, not all, seem to
>>> be missing and are substituted by courier, with wrong spacing,
>>> etc. This seems to happen with only some sizes of cmr, since
>>> \Large, \textbf, \textsc, maths, etc. print OK. The file is
>>> correctly viewed on screen, and moreover if I open it with
>>> TeXShop--even when it was produced in another computer with
>>> another TeX--then it prints correctly!
>>>

> Thinking more about it, I observed the same behaviour once
> (characters substituted by Helvetica upon printing). But it was
> with Pages, not TeXShop. Thus it seems a Tiger bug.

I experience similar problems in OS X 10.4.1, but basically in all
PDF viewers: TeXShop, BibDesk (the LaTeX preview window) Preview,
Acrobat and the Schubert-IT's Browser Plug-in. Thus it seems to me
that this is rather a bug in OS X than some application specific thing.
Sometimes just certain parts of the documents show up on the screen,
for example I just opened my thesis with TeXShop and all I can see in
the PDF viewer is the chapter, section and subsection headings - even
after I typeset the document. Typesetting it for the 3rd time
actually displays everything fine. I haven't had any problems when
printing PDFs though.

Cheers,
Christian

--