[OS X TeX] customizing menu shortcut keys in TeXShop

Johan Almqvist johan at almqvist.net
Wed Jun 8 20:47:09 CEST 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 20:31, Herbert Schulz wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Charles Chapman Pugh wrote:
>> In the help files for TeXShop 2.03, there are directions for
>> customizing the menu shortcut keys.  You go the file
>> KeyEquivalents.plist whose location is
>>
>> ~/Library/TeXShop/Menus/KeyEquivalents.plist
>>

>> and then you modify it, save the result, and that should do it.
>> An example is given in the KeyEquivalents.plist file, which is
>> indeed located as it should be.  The example is commented out
>> because it is a "crazy redefinition," which among other things
>> removes the keyboard command Apple-W from the close operation in
>> the file menu.
>>
>> Well, after trying to emulate the example file, I got no change in
>> the menus or shortcuts, so, as an experiment, I duplicated the
>> crazy part and removed its commenting-out brackets, saved the
>> result, quit TexShop for good measure, started it back up, opened
>> a file, and the menus were unchanged.  Apple-W still closed things
>> up.
>
> Hmmm... When I try to open that default (original) .plist file in
> my plist editor (PlistEdit Pro - a very nice reliable application
> that does binary as well as text plists) I get an error:
>
> There was an error reading the property list file (The file /Users/
> herbs/Library/TeXShop/Menus/KeyEquivalents.plist could not be
> opened because an error occurred parsing the file.
> XML parser error:
>     Encountered unexpected character - on line 56
> Old-style plist parser error:
>     Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex
> ).
>
> So it looks as though there is a problem with the plist xml
> although I don't know what it is.

I don't think nested comments are allowed, so try removing the last
part of the big comment at the top:

[...]Since nobody would actually want to do this, the example is
commented out;
     use it as a guide and add similar definitions which are not
bracketed inside the
     comment symbols <!-- and -->
[comment block ends here]

(The explanation of the comment symbols is probably the culprit)

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
johan at almqvist.net