[OS X TeX] Re: Functionality for collaborative work in TeXShop?

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Fri Jun 3 17:01:47 CEST 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 10:11 AM, Fredrik Wallenberg wrote:

> CVS/Subversion is the way to go but I found the setup difficult. One
> of the coauthors on my last paper is a professor in a different
> department. We don't have access to the same servers and it is
> therefore hard to setup a CVS repository (I ended up checking out a
> copy and sending it to him via email). What would be really nice is a
> WebDav solution, but we don't have that available for security
> reasons.

We face the same problems here. After some discussion, our computing
support people set up a separate CVS server with a couple of scripts
that allow users to create CVS-only accounts for collaborators on
that server only. We still have to deal with CVS setup, which is
really painful. Subversion promises to be much easier for these
purposes, in that it supports authentication and user naming
independent of *nix UIDs.

> It seems to me that the academic community needs a SourceForge system
> (it needs to allow private groups and I'm not sure SF does that).

Given that research work in progress is often confidential, who would
be responsible for breaches? That's the problem that always comes up
with such a service is suggested.

-- F

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>