[OS X TeX] Problems with the Editor in TeXShop

Michael McCracken michael_mccracken at mac.com
Thu Jul 28 22:59:08 CEST 2005

On Jul 28, 2005, at 1:24 PM, Patrick Woolsey wrote:

> "Axel E. Retif" <axretif at igo.com.mx> sez:
> [...]
>
>> El 7/27/05 1:03 PM, "Francesco Costanzo" <costanzo at engr.psu.edu>
>> escribió:
>>

>>> I writing to report an annoying bug in TeXShop (I am using version
>>> 2.03) that sometimes causes lines of text to appear and disappear as
>>> one moves the cursor vertically through a document.
>>>

>> This is an issue that Bruno Voisin and Gary L. Gray have dealt
>> with in this
>> mailing list.
>>
>> It is not a TeXShop bug, but it rather seems to be a Tiger (very
>> annoying
>> indeed) bug.
>>
>> It does happen to me in TeXShop, Mail, Entourage, BBEdit, etc.
>>

> Hmm, I've never seen this in BBEdit or any of my other apps, nor to
> the
> best of my knowledge have we gotten any reports about such a problem.
>
> If Axel or anyone else who's observed this behavior in BBEdit could
> please
> send a note to <support _at_ barebones.com> describing the symptoms
> plus
> the app version and display font you're using, so that we can
> investigate,
> I'd very much appreciate it.

To be more specific, I think this is an AppKit bug, not a Tiger bug -
All the apps people have mentioned with the problem use the AppKit's
NSTextView text editing widget, while BBEdit does not. (Unless I've
missed something recent)

Indeed, NSTextView seems to have gotten a little weird in Tiger. I
think it might be a result of recent attempts to speed up text
drawing, related to the new graphics layer, and I assume it'll be
ironed out in time. Until then, I will attempt to embrace its new
quirky personality. And use Emacs a lot. :)

-mike

--
     Michael McCracken
     michael_mccracken at mac.com