[OS X TeX] [ANN] TCOBrowser-0.86

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Jul 26 00:07:11 CEST 2005

Hi Bruno,

On Monday, July 25, 2005, at 02:47PM, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:

>Le 23 juil. 05 à 17:54, Adam R. Maxwell a écrit :
>
>> I've just released a new TCOBrowser with some bugs fixed, thanks to
>> feedback from users.  You can download this version at <http://
>> tcobrowser.sf.net/>.
>
>I've just had a look at the drawer in TCO Browser for the first time.
>Very nice! (I'm not even mentioning the MikTeX package-install, which
>seems immensely useful.) I realized by accident TCOBrowser may be
>used for visualizing any PDF file: dragging by accident a PDF file
>from my Desktop onto the drawer, the PDF file was displayed inside
>the drawer.

I didn't know it could do that.  Interesting.

[...]
>That said, I must add I don't like drawers personally: I prefer
>instead a "separated" window à la Mozilla, Mail.app, iTunes etc.
>Drawers are convenient, but look kind of unbalanced, especially with
>the very wide drawer in TCOBrowser. Even time I click on a drawer
>which has popped up from within a window, I have the impression the
>additional pressure of my click will make the drawer fall and with it
>the virtual desktop made by the window (that is, as if the window was
>a table seen from above, and the drawer a drawer from this table)!

Well, the drawer here is a convenience for quick access without a full-blown web browser; I wouldn't read PDF in it myself, rather just list the contents of the CTAN directory.  You can configure the prefs to open the CTAN links in your web browser, though, rather than the drawer (a double-click on a row opens the drawer or your default browser).

>Regarding the TCOBrowser drawer, it seems it has a maximum width
>beyond which it can't be enlarged, even if the screen would be large
>enough for doing so.

Drawers are limited to the size of their parent window.

Adam

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>