[OS X TeX] Re: Fonts in Illustrator with Tiger

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jul 16 02:01:58 CEST 2005

Le 16 juil. 05 à 00:40, Wendy McKay a écrit :

> Hi Bruno
>
> A quick question:
> Are you using Illustrator?
>
> If so, did you find that the CM fonts no longer appear in
> Illustrator when using Tiger 10.4.2
>
> In the not too distant past, all the Tex fonts used to appear in
> the Illustrator application.
>
> What has changed?
> -- wendy

Hi Wendy,

Depends on what you're talking about: right now I'm using Illustrator
CS2 in Tiger 10.4.2.

If I look at the Character palette, I can see the OpenType Latin
Modern fonts installed by i-Installer from the TeX i-Package, but not
the BSR/AMS PostScript CM fonts that I installed in the Classic font
folder. Which after all is normal, given I have installed "hidden"
versions of these fonts (obtained by adding in ResEdit a "%" at the
beginning of the screen font name) precisely so that the fonts don't
show up in applications' font menus and are only seen by Textures.

I do remember that in Illustrator 10 these fonts, though being
hidden, did show up in the Character palette; now in CS2 they don't,
which seems better. I can't tell whether the change is due to CS2 or
to Tiger 10.4.2, as I have installed Illustrator CS2 last week or the
week before, and I haven't used it really before updating Tiger to
10.4.2. The fact that the fonts still show up in Font Book seems to
indicate OS X isn't involved here.

That said, I'm not very happy with CS2: I was expecting it to be
faster and more Apple-HIG-compliant than Illustrator 10, but that's
not the case. It seems to only add bugs, and more modifications to
the OS X routines (like replacing the printing window by a completely
new one, for no reason).

For example, I've been spending the last hour or so (and it's 1:45am
here on a Friday night!) trying to determine why a Mathematica-
generated EPS file cannot be opened in Illustrator CS2: Illustrator
silently fails to open it, and looking at the console.log I can see:

Adobe Illustrator(480,0xa000ef98) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a
pointer not malloced: 0x139f7ea8; This could be a double free(), or
free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting
environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

I'm cc'ing the OS X TeX list, as I think your original question could
be of interest to the people there as well (this is typically an
interaction-of-TeX-with-other-OS-X-software question) .

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>