[OS X TeX] Adobe reader and [OT] using Camino.

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jul 10 21:39:35 CEST 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 2:17 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>> Howdy,
>>
>> I've refrained from updating Adobe Reader 7 to the latest version
>> for fear of going through this again. I think I set the
>> preferences in Reader (you may have to do this in both Reader and
>> Acrobat) not to use the plugin, quit each program and THEN deleted
>> the plugin. I left the framework installed by Reader in Safari
>> although I was really angry that Adobe would do that; it seems to
>> do no harm.
>>

> That's unbelievable; an InputManager or one of the other runtime
> hacks seems less dirty than actually modifying an application's
> bundle like this.  My original reason for dumping Acrobat was the
> Windows-style toolbar across my entire display, but I now feel even
> more justified in keeping my system Adobe-free, possible thanks to
> Preview, Create and TIFFany3 ;).

Howdy,

Isn't it! I'm tempted to call it a virus!

>> I'm back to using the Shubert PDF plugin in Safari; I only miss
>> scrolling using the scroll wheel on my mouse.
>>
>> I've actually been using the Camino browser more and more. It's
>> missing some features and has a few bugs but I like its interface.
>> The latest nightlies have been very stable on my system.
>>

> Still using OmniWeb here, since Safari's brushed metal and font
> coloring give me eyestrain (and OW has regex ad blocking and a few
> dozen other features).
>
> Adam

Have you tried a recent nightly of Camino? It's Gecko (Sp?) based but
with a Cocoa interface (unlike Firefox). No brushed metal! Try an
official nightly or even an unofficial optimized (for different
processors) nightly. There is popup blocking that seems quite
effective and ad blocking via css that also seems pretty nice. It's
biggest problem right now is that typing in text boxes is a bit
`flashy' and slow and there is no spell checking in text boxes; both
are being actively worked on at the moment but it's a small group of
volunteers doing this project.

I like to push Camino because it's a very nice Browser done as Open
Source.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>