[OS X TeX] OT: digests

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 4 22:49:14 CEST 2005

I switched to the digest format in order to reduce the volume coming
into my mailbox, particularly when I'm out of town and not using my POP
account. This list does have a relatively high volume, so using the
digest mode does make a difference.

Thanks,

Fred Hoyt

On Jul 3, 2005, at 12:36 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 3 juil. 05 à 16:38, Gary L. Gray a écrit :
>
>> On Jul 3, 2005, at 5:28 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>>
>>> I am all in favour of forbidding digests. Most digest users forget
>>> to change the subject line and the in-reply-to headers are also
>>> incorrect. This plays havoc with mail programs and with other
>>> subscribers (majority) who do not use digests.
>>>
>>> With the sorting capabilities of mail programs these days, digests
>>> have lost their function if you ask me.
>>
>> I agree. On the other hand, I suspect that if I were to eliminate the
>> digests I would have a revolt on my hands.
>>
>> What do digest users think -- can I eliminate the digests for this
>> list and move you all over to the "regular" list format? Is there a
>> compelling reason to keep the digests?
>
> From a non-digest user: I think the digests have a use. Every now and
> then I'm thinking about changing subscription. Filtering rules allow
> all list messages to be transferred to a mailbox upon reception,
> right. But it's difficult to resist the temptation to have a look
> what's there, when the message counter icon displays something like
> 10, say; and I rarely do (resist). At least with a digest you're sure
> to not know anything that's happening on the list for a few hours.
>
> But that's a functionality that's interesting for people willing only
> to read the list messages, not post any. I agree that for somebody
> willing to post, a digest subscription isn't really appropriate.
>
> Another suggestion, that could possibly replace digests for some
> people: it would be nice to have an OS X TeX Announce list, where
> announcements of new software versions would be posted. In that way
> people could be aware of what's happening in the OS X TeX world,
> without necessarily needing to be subscribed to the present OS X TeX
> list with its high traffic.

> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

Frederick M. Hoyt
www.livejournal.com/users/frederickhoyt