[OS X TeX] Recommendations for downloading LaTEX

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 31 22:53:28 CET 2005

On 31 jan 2005, at 22:31, Jan Hegewald wrote:

> Am 30.01.2005 um 21:24 schrieb Maarten Sneep:
>
> [...]
>>> because I have fast Internet access only on a Unix box (and a Wintel
>>> box, but that´s another story...), I download the i-packages from
>>> Gerben´s ftp server and install them on my Mac locally.
>>
>> I thought of suggesting that option, but you'd be downloading far
>> more than you actually need (like the TL2003, TL2004 and TL2005
>> distributions that are part of the complete package). Downloading
>> some 160 MB, where 'only' some 55 MB is needed, I'd only recommend
>> that technique on broadband, not on dial-up.
>
> I only download the i-packages I want, not the whole tree.

Ehm, how do I say this: an i-package is a Mac OS X bundle, which really
is a directory with a bunch of files. i-Installer only loads the files
from the bundle it needs to proceed. In case of the TeX bundle that is
only about 1/3rd of the whole package. Case in point, my tex.ii2
directory is currently 102 MB. From the property list I can see that
there are some 54 files in the bundle, while I only have 36 in mine.

So downloading whole i-packages is like downloading a whole tree, and
you may download too much.

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>