[OS X TeX] BibTeX, BibDesk, EndNote

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Mon Jan 31 19:20:33 CET 2005

I have a couple of questions concerning BibTeX/Bibdesk:

When I tried to export my Endnote library (actually, a fraction of it
containing approximately 300 references) to a .bib file, I first ran
into problems with the encoding when I opened it in Bibdesk. By trial
and error, I found that changing the default behavior in the
preferences from "Read as TeX in ASCII encoding" to "Read as Unicode
TeX using above encoding" and the encoding set to "Mac OS Roman"
(which, I guess is what is exported by Endnote), Bibdesk would open the
bib file without any error messages.

Is this the correct way of doing it? Are there any drawbacks in terms
of BibTeX compatibility? Do I have to do anything with this file (like
saving it with a different encoding)? When I save a .bib file from
Bibdesk, is it necessarily syntactically correct?

When I then tried to TeX a document with this .bib, BibTeX failed with
the following error message:

> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (Web2C 7.5.3)
> The top-level auxiliary file: nanostructures.aux
> The style file: wiley.bst
> Database file #1: carbon_nano.bib
> Sorry---you've exceeded BibTeX's buffer size 5000
> Aborted at line 851 of file carbon_nano.bib
> (That was a fatal error)

Is it possible that the file is indeed too large (I do not consider 300
references a lot)? Is there anything else going wrong?

Any help is appreciated. Actually, if somebody has some experience with
keeping a BibTeX/Bibdesk and an Endnote library at the same time, I
would be happy to know what is the best way of doing this because I
will have to stick to Endnote for a number of reasons (Scifinder,
Beilstein integration, MS Word addicted coworkers ...).

Thanks.
Holger

__
Dr. Holger Frauenrath