[OS X TeX] XeTeX and unicode characters

Peter Pagin peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se
Sun Jan 30 22:56:35 CET 2005

Hi,
I now learned about XeTeX, installed it with the i-package and it works!
Marvelous! I can use the font families I have on my Mac.

There is one thing that doesn't work, however, and I don't understand
why. The Swedish characters e.g. å, ä, ö (corresponding to the codes
\"a, \aa, and \~o) typed into the input file work fine with LaTeX
typesetting in TeXShop with the utf8 encoding. When I switch to XeLaTeX,
I get error messages that these characters are not set up for use with
LaTeX. Does anyone understand why?

I think I have set the preferences according to instructions.

Best,
Peter

--
Peter Pagin