[OS X TeX] Good bye!

Arno Kruse arnokruse at macnews.de
Sun Jan 30 13:20:08 CET 2005

A parting word:
Bora: I accurately followed the instructions, but it does not work.
Lucida: I accurately followed the instructions, it works, but it is
impossible for me to get the Euro-Symbol.
Myriad: Does not work.
Cairo: Works (thanks to Bruno), but only in a complicated way.
Other fonts I tried to install: No one works. No one!

During the last six weeks I have tried intensively to learn the way TeX
works with fonts. I studied
Brunos abstract (very helpful and well written),
fontinstallationguide,
The LaTeX Companion
and many more,
visited hundreds of websides,
tried out fontforge, otftoftm and similar programs,
dreamed of .sty, .map, Map, .fd (or was it .df?), enable --mapMapMAP
omlwrcm.fd, wrtnuioß94öäpügrrrr! and waked up bathed in sweat.

The result: I have invested much more than 40 hours, and nearly nothing
runs.

Conclusio for me: TeX has wonderful advantages, but as long as it is
impossible (for me) to use fonts beyond those installed by i-Installer,
I give up (and shall use Pages). Math I shall write in LaTeX and
include the pdf-files (or use a better way).
Concerning fonts,TeX behaves like a program written in Stone Ages.

Thanks to all the friendly and competent members of this list, they
have helped me a lot, but the result is a desaster nevertheless.
Should a version of Textures appear working with OS X, I shall be back
immediately.
Should a genius write a program that enables a "normal" user to use
common fonts, I shall be back immediately.

If anyone is interested to buy my license of BBEdit (I have bought it
some weeks ago to write my LaTeX files, now I do not need it any
longer), he can get it to half the price (educational version, about 60
€}.

Thanks again to all

Arno
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>