[OS X TeX] xdvi and/or acrobat reader with darwin ports emacs

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Tue Jan 25 09:53:22 CET 2005

On 24 Jan 2005, at 20:01, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.01.2005 um 18:58 schrieb Massimiliano Gubinelli:
>
>> In any case I was referring to the interaction of ps code with tex
>> which is going on in pstricks, (which being tricks are tricky to
>> implement...).
>
> Although the package is called "PS Tricks" it always *has to be* valid
> PostScript code. Otherwise no trick would succeed. So you shouldn't
> think so much about it.
>
> The problems pdfTeX has with this PS code (or EPS graphics) can be,
> that pdfTeX and PS Tricks can be of different worlds, i.e. coordinate
> systems and graphics states, clipping regions, and other 'forbidden'
> operators collide. dvips does, as far as I had to experience, a simple
> job, rendering the DVI code first and superposing the PS Tricks code
> upon it. It's just as with drawing a picture: first you do all except
> a reserved white space, than this one is painted too. Only sometimes
> it can happen that you draw bit outside the reserved area, which can
> be seen then!

Hi Pete,
  just to explain better my remark: this is an example of things I think
it would be difficult to implement (sent to me by Joachim Kock):

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{diagrams}
\begin{document}

Consider the diagonal arrow from $C$ to $B$ (produced by the
diagrams package by ps rotating a horizontal arrow):

\begin{diagram}[w=6ex,h=4.5ex,tight,PostScript=dvips]
A & \rTo  & B  \\
\dTo  & \ruTo   &   \\
C  &   &
\end{diagram}

\end{document}

I should admit that is not pstricks in this case but diagram that cause
the problem. If you look at the dvi produced by this code you will see
that there are some PS commands which change the current state to draw
the arrow (assuming the driver is dvips). [Indeed I just checked that
In this case neither xdvi do the right job...]
This was an example of the kind of stuff I was referring to... It is
not simply matter of inclusion of ps code, you should really understand
(or try to guess) what the PS code is doing in the standard dvips
driver.

Of course, I agree with you, image inclusion is way simpler.

Best,
Max

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>