[OS X TeX] Current "best practice" for Lucida under TeXShop

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Jan 25 05:08:09 CET 2005

On Jan 24, 2005, at 10:45 PM, Ian Morrison wrote:

> I have been made a number of attempts to migrate Lucida which I have
> had working fine for years under both Textures and OzTex in Classic to
> a Jaguar TeXShop installation (via i-Installer's "Full" option) with no
> success. It's not that I have not tried to find and use already posted
> recipes. I have tried at least a half-dozen of various vintages located
> in online searches and nothing I try works (not too surprising since
> there's a lot of divergence between the recipes and what the recipes
> say is needed seems to be a moving target as teTeX evolves). I have the
> full 41 font expert set purchased from YandY for Classic [converted to
> pfbs using Fondu] and I have renamed and inserted in the teTeX tree in
> several ways with no luck.
>
> Is it true, as I seem to sniff from some posts, that all the needed
> tfm, vf, fd and map files are in the current teTeX distribution and
> that all that I need to add are the Type 1 fonts. If so, where do they
> go, what are the "right" names (Berry or YandY variants or can I use
> either, is the exact folder structure important, etc.)? If not, what
> else must I provide and where?
>
> I'm not very knowledgable about (or fond of) UNIX but I think I can
> follow a
> detailed working recipe. I just can't seem to locate one.

Here is my setup. This works with the TeXLive 2004 installation using
Gerben's distribution and, for example,

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[expert,altbullet,lucidasmallscale]{lucidabr}

I have the following in

~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lubright/

lbd.pfb
lbdi.pfb
lbdsc.pfb
lbi.pfb
lbr.pfb
lbrsc.pfb
lbsl.pfb

~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucida/

lbc.pfb
lbh.pfb
lbki.pfb
lbkr.pfb
lbl.pfb
lbtb.pfb
lbtbo.pfb
lbto.pfb
lbtr.pfb

~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucidfax/

lfd.pfb
lfdi.pfb
lfi.pfb
lfr.pfb

~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucsans/

lsb.pfb
lsbi.pfb
lsd.pfb
lsdi.pfb
lsi.pfb
lsr.pfb
lstb.pfb
lstbo.pfb
lsto.pfb
lstr.pfb

~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lumath/

lbma.pfb
lbmad.pfb
lbmd.pfb
lbmdi.pfb
lbmdo.pfb
lbme.pfb
lbmi.pfb
lbmo.pfb
lbmr.pfb
lbms.pfb
lbmsd.pfb

Also see my posting from June 5, 2003 for more detail:

<http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/MacOSX-TeX-Digests/2003/MacOSX-
TeX_Digest_06-05-03.html>

I hope this helps.

All the best,