[OS X TeX] xdvi and/or acrobat reader with darwin ports emacs

Massimiliano Gubinelli mgubi at mac.com
Mon Jan 24 18:58:33 CET 2005

On 24 Jan 2005, at 17:26, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.01.2005 um 16:22 schrieb Massimiliano Gubinelli:
>
>>     xdvi has not been written in a day....
>
> But you can learn from it! AFAIK it passes the \special's to gs to
> render it into some bitmap graphics and this snippet is then shown in
> the reserved and blank space. Apple has some graphics conversion
> routines built into. The cmd line interface is /usr/bin/)sips -- the
> scriptable image processing system. And moreover: it can handle colour
> profiles! So colourful PS tricks could be shown in the right colours
> on screen for the first time.

Thanks for the tips. It will require time even by copying the xdvi code
(which must be undestood before... -- it is not so easy to manage it
starting from scratch, I'm trying...). In any case I was referring to
the interaction of ps code with tex which is going on in pstricks,
(which being tricks are tricky to implement...). But I have not even
started to look at the problem yet so I cannot say if it will be really
difficult or not. Just a feeling. By now I'm in a really primitive
stage of development (and this is my first large project) and I'm
focusing to basic DVI rendering. (I want to be sure that it can be done
with the same quality -- and speed -- of pdf rendering).

If anyone would like to help I would be pleased.

best,
Massimiliano Gubinelli

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>