[OS X TeX] iWork and TeX

Jon Breitenbucher kahless at mac.com
Sun Jan 23 04:18:20 CET 2005

On Jan 22, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Will Robertson wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2005, at 7:32 AM, Alexandre Enkerli wrote:
>
>> Now that Apple's iWork has been released did some of you see any way
>> to integrate Keynote and Pages documents with TeX?
> <snip>
>> On the other hand, a good XML format might mean some interesting
>> things in terms of TeX integration, possibly through ConTeXt.
>
> I think you're correct with the XML angle. Keynote 1 used an XML
> format, so there's no reason to think that Pages will be different.
>
> However, the actual transformation from XML is something I don't have
> any idea about. The possibilities could be exciting, for doing a
> "rough layout" in Pages and transferring that to TeX, but I think that
> it would be a *lot* of work transforming all of Pages concepts to TeX.
>
> Regards,
> Will

Pages does indeed use XML for its templates. The templates are saved as
a bundle with associated graphics in the folder. Also in the folder is
a file called index.xml.gz which has the actual template information. I
discovered this when I needed to delete a page type from a template. I
found no easy way to do this from within Pages and had to delete the
relevant material form the XML file and gzip the result. This seems
rather inconvenient and I don't think the XML file for Keynote was
zipped.
Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.

Prof. Jon Breitenbucher
The College of Wooster
308 E. University
Wooster, Ohio 44691