[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest #1264 - 01/22/05

Felipe M Pait pait at lac.usp.br
Sun Jan 23 03:35:22 CET 2005

My reasons for using TeX are pretty much the ones that have already
been mentioned, portability, mathematics, appearance, and so on. Now
the most important reason why people who use vulgar word-processing
software should switch to TeX is as follows. I grant that typing _one_
reasonably short document in, say, Nisus, is faster than in LaTeX. Then
you type a second document, and the word processor still saves time,
although less. But then you decide to merge the two documents. Using
TeX, this is trivial. Using a WYSIWIG word processor, it takes a
significant effort.

The amount of time needed to compose a document from scratch with LaTeX
is affine in its size: there is a constant initial effort and from then
it grows linearly. With Microsoft Word (here; I tried to avoid naming
the beast but couldn't resist) the work grows with the square of the
document size. Writing small documents is effortless, easier than
typing plain text thanks to the dictionaries, spell checkers, and
easy-to-use tools. Writing long documents it is a nightmare, for
reasons that the mavens in this list can explain better than me. Word
processing quickly becomes a major drag on productivity.

                  Pait

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>