[OS X TeX] Semi-OT

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sat Jan 22 17:29:13 CET 2005

On 23 Jan 2005, at 2:44 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On the other hand, when you cite references [2-14], the author-year
> makes me forget what the whole sentence was about in the first place,
> because you'd have to read past half a page of authors and years.

Ah, that's true. Certainly wouldn't have an easy way around that with
author-date.

> Since most physics articles use numbered references, I've never
> published with an author year system. What I tend to do to prevent the
> above mess, is to cite like: "... and it was claimed by Robertson et
> al. [45] that such-and-such ..."

That's because -you're- clever :) In that situation I have basically no
problem with numbered references. It's the mis-use of numbered
references (using them as nouns or whatever) that gets me. I realise I
sound a little contradictory at this stage. Forgive me, it's late.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>