[OS X TeX] how to convert .doc to .TEX?

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Wed Jan 19 18:55:20 CET 2005

Herb Schulz wrote:

>The \emph command (and \em declaration) are what you SHOULD use! It
>automatically gets nested emphasized text correct (i.e., upright within
>italic and italic within upright). It is also a command that tells you what
>you're trying to do, i.e., emphasize text, while \textit tells you nothing
>about the logical structure of what you're trying to do.

This was my understanding back when I "read somewhere that I should have
used \emph" and when, as a result, I changed \textit to \emph.

The "misadventure" started in a complicated way, with commutative
diagrams while using the old pdfsync.sty with
    \usepackage{askinclude}
culminating with the three-part example I gave on 1/17/05 5:00 PM
On Voisin's suggestion, I changed \emph to \textit  in the headings and,
indeed, all is well now.

So, my current understanding (with the emphasis on current) is that
\emph is still the way to go except in "movable input (like the argument
of \section, \caption, etc.)" where it needs either to be protected or
replaced by \textit.

>Am I missing something?

If anybody is missing something, there is no doubt it is I.

Regards
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>