[OS X TeX] box in forms

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Sun Jan 16 02:33:29 CET 2005

On 16 Jan 2005, at 11:21 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> I tried it and I am overwhelmed. At the risk of appearing ungrateful,
> though, I think that, at least for the time being, I prefer the other
> solution because it does not depend on \newcommand which I am afraid
> of while the other solution is completely local and context-free.

It's only scary if what's inside is incomprehensible :)
Remember, a \newcommand defines a command (obviously :) ) whose
definition is used as the *replacement* where-ever it occurs in your
text.

Surely something like the following makes perfect sense?

    \newcommand\schremmer{\textsc{Alain Schremmer}}
    This is a sample sentence for the education of \schremmer{}.

This is exactly the same as writing:

    This is a sample sentence for the education of \textsc{Alain
Schremmer}.

But there is the advantage that if you want to change the way you
typeset your name (to italics, say), you only need to change the one
definition at the beginning of the document.

There are more complex situations when you define commands with
arguments, but that's a lesson for another day :)

Have fun!
Will

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>