[OS X TeX] The Babel bug - how it has been introduced.

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jan 14 21:01:03 CET 2005

After installing TL2005 I wanted to check, if the babel bug is still
present and removed the version of babel.def with Bruno's fix, and
voilà, everything was fine. Then, I noticed that I was using an old
modified amsbook class file residing in my personal texmf folder, and
typesetted a paper using amsart for a change. Sure enough, the bug is
still there.

The amsbook.cls is from Oct 2000, version 2.08, and apparently some
later versions of amsart, and probably also of amsbook, are
incompatible with the babel.def, which, I suppose, haven't changed at
all with respect to the incompatible definitions and commands. My
modifications of the amsbook class most likely had no effect with
regard to the interaction with babel.def, though I modified some
definitions for the headers too.

Although, the bug can be fixed, one conclusion should be drawn: in case
of important source files not only a back up of the source but also of
the tex components, they rely on, should be a standard precautionary
measure.

Claus

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>