[OS X TeX] Bibliography: pedestrian way works too...

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 13 23:57:07 CET 2005

On 13 jan 2005, at 23:05, Josep M.Font wrote:

> Oh, yes, thanks, I had forgotten that I already know it. It certainly
> would do what I am asking, and a few other very useful tasks related
> to BibTeX, provided I knew how to install it. It's strange that in the
> documentation it does not mention that it can be installed in MacOS X.
> Since it is a UN*X program it's probably possible, but unfortunately,
> its installation process is beyond my computer literacy level...
>
> Any experience with it as a "normal" Mac user ?

Installing is easy: there is an i-Package for it.

You'll have to use the terminal, but other than that, it is pretty
easy. After installing it, try to run 'bibtool -h' (no quotes). That
should give you a summary of what you can do with it. Remember that you
can go to a specific folder in the terminal by typing 'cd ', dragging
the folder where you'd like to go in the terminal window, and pressing
return.

Once you're in the same directory where your article is, you can use:

bibtool -i references.bib -x article.aux -o article.bib

(and after that, article.bib will be created and contain a bibliography
with just the referenced articles).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>