[OS X TeX] OT: Some wonderings on iWork Pages and NeXT and Pages by Pages

Will Robertson will at guerilla.net.au
Thu Jan 13 09:03:07 CET 2005

On 13 Jan 2005, at 1:16 AM, William F. Adams wrote:

> Posted the below to www.macslash.org and comp.sys.mac.advocacy --- was
> curious what everyone here thought.

Live paragraph re-flowing looked gorgeous. And being able to drag and
drop images into templates and have them transform to fit looked pretty
nice.

It'll be great if it heavily pushes structured text as much as it seems.

It will be very interesting how much Word compatibility they've been
able to manage with respect to complicated things like citations and so
on. What about table of contents exporting to bookmarked PDF? (Word can
do that now, right? Or is it distiller with the know-how?)

The images I saw all had ragged right text, which would imply to me
that someone is aware of the lack of good h&j and that's their
compromise, which I guess is reasonable.

It would be very interesting I think to get some really fancy LaTeX
templates in the same vein, which would also be good ways of showing
the fonts available in a distribution.

I'll be buying iWork primarily for Keynote (I wonder if there's an
upgrade scheme...I doubt it), but I'll enjoy having a look to see what
Pages can offer.

> Just looking at the screengrabs it seems to let people make some
> fairly common typographic mistakes (lines too long, leading too tight,
> excessive word spacing).

Would you have an alert telling people "this line is too long in the
current typeface"? Word spacing might be a necessary evil if it can't
do hyphenation, since it is supposed to be reasonably compatible with
Word.

We can but wait and see.

Best wishes!
Other Will.