[OS X TeX] box in forms

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Wed Jan 12 06:42:56 CET 2005

1. I am trying to make a box like in a text form to be filled, as in:
some text  [   Box  ]   some text. If nothing else, I can always use

    $\underline{\overline{|\hspace{15mm}|}}$

but ugly.  So, I looked into boxes.

First I tried

    \framebox[\height + 10mm]{}

after the example on page 861 of Companion 2ed but I could not figure
how to increase the height of the box. It seems \height refers to the
height of the text and \height + 10mm is then the width of the box.

After some other attempts with fbox etc, I tried to use fancybox with
the example on top of page 597 of Companion 2ed.

    \cornersize{0.7pt}
    \begin{picture}(110,40)
    \put(25,20{\oval(50,40)}
    \put(85,20pt){makebox(2,3){Test}}
    \put(85,20){fancyoval(50,40)}
    \end{picture}

The console said

    !Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted)
    <to be read again>
        {
    l18\put(85,20pt){makebox(2,3){Test}}
        ?

I entered pt after all numbers but but to no avail.
When I do "r Enter" in the console, I do get the pictures but
superimposed over neighboring text plus some strange disalignment on the

2. I am also trying to do something similar in a math form. The
following did just what I wanted:

    \begin{displaymath}
    \frac{\bigcirc^{2}-13}{\bigcirc-2}
    \end{displaymath}

but then I tried to give an example with

    \begin{displaymath}
    \frac{\ding{'260}^{2}-13}{\ding{'260}-2}
    \end{displaymath}

and, while the console didn't protest, the circled 5 just doesn't show.

Regards
--schremmer
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>