[OS X TeX] Alpha flash mode prototype

david craig dac at panix.com
Mon Jan 10 19:48:01 CET 2005

Cool beans!  Thanks for having a go of it.  When one can source files,
this could be keen.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get it to work, though.  First, I've
recently upgraded to Panther, and consequently am trying Apple's X11
after using OroborOSX happily for quite some time.  I normally use tcsh.
When I start an xterm, my .cshrc is read, but /etc/csh.login is not,
unlike when I start a shell in Terminal.  (I suppose this is because
xterm does not start a login shell?)  This has the consequence that
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current is not in the path.
(I seem to recall that fink also adds it to your path when you install
system-tetex, but I hadn't gotten 'round to that yet.)

I don't know whether or how this affects flash mode.  At any rate, even
added to my path, when I open a TeX document and hit F2, I simply get
"Error: failed to build custom format."  Haven't a clue where to begin
to track down the problem.

The sample documents I tried (la)tex fine from the command line either
from Terminal or xterm, and don't source any other files.  (I get the
same error with

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\begin{document}
This is a test.  This is only a test.
\end{document}
)

I normally use OzTeX as my TeX application.  Might having OTEX as my TeX
sig be the problem?  (I don't especially care to change right now for
most purposes.)

Suggestions?

David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>