[OS X TeX] BibTeX Questions.

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Jan 10 11:18:47 CET 2005

On 10.01.2005, at 01:08, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

>> Actually, I think this is very annoying. When I started using
>> LaTeX/BibTeX I went with jurabib right from the beginning. Now
>> jurabib has lots of special fields which other styles don't use but
>> which make it very powerful. Any decision by the app what fields are
>> required or optional is pretty pointless IMO when you use jurabib (I
>> don't know about other styles).
>
> BibDesk uses the required/optional fields definitions provided in
> btxdoc.dvi by Oren Patashnik (the author of BibTeX) for BibTeX types.
> Other types are probably defined however the original requester
> suggested; as Simon notes, the usefulness of the "required/optional"
> definition is largely dependent on a particular .bst.

Talking about this, I have a feature request (which I posted to the bug
tracker some time ago): Currently BibDesk allows to define global
default fields that get added to all entries. It would be very nice if
these default fields could be definied for each entry type. I don't
need every field on every type.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel