[OS X TeX] BibTeX Questions.

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jan 9 00:03:16 CET 2005

On 1/8/05 4:02 PM, "Adam R. Maxwell" <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:

>> hand
>> and you paid an approved secretary $0.50 US per page to type (and
>> re-type)
>> your Thesis I've managed to keep bibliographies fairly small and
>> avoided
>> using BibTeX.
>
> That sounds horrid (not to mention too expensive); I wrote my MS thesis
> using Word, though, which was worse than your average typewriter.

Howdy,

It WAS terrible and the secretaries didn't understand math so there wer
always re-writes since I'm in Physics.

>> Now I'd like to play around with BibTeX and BibDesk, etc., and
>> wonder if there is a freely available .bib file with TeX/LaTeX
>> bibliography
>> so I can play around writing about things with which I'm familiar. It
>> would
>> be great if it had package references as well as book and article
>> references.
>
> Check out ftp://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/ for .bib files; we use
> tugboat.bib as a test case for BibDesk.  Also, I'd recommend using the
> natbib package for anything math/science related; the docs for it are
> straightforward.
>
> hth,
> Adam

Thanks for that pointer. I downloaded the tugboat.bib file and will spend
some time playing with that in BibDesk (just to see what's in the fields,
etc.) and within a document with some bib styles.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>