[OS X TeX] Applescript-tcl dictionary, wishlist

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Jan 7 15:41:53 CET 2005

Though I wouldn't consider myself to be a guru of any kind, here are
BBEdit's Applescript commands (numbered from 1 to 6):

1. set sourceLine to startDisplayLine of selection as number --don't
worry about selection
2. do shell script "bbedit " & "+" & theLine & " " & fileName
3.replace findText using replaceString searching in text 1 of text
window 1 options {search mode:literal, starting at top:true, wrap
around:false, backwards:false, case sensitive:false, match words:false,
extend selection:false}
4. is given
5. set the selection to "string"
6. set theSelection to selection as text

On the other hand, tcl scripting is very powerful and I believe that
there are commands in tcl that have no equivalent in Applescript, but
still can be initiated from Applescript by using the construct
DoScript, which is similar to "do shell script". Since I don't think
that would refrain from using shell scripts (within Applescripts)
simply because they belong to a different language, I would strongly
suggest that a more or less extensive (Applescript)-tcl dictionary
exists so that people fluent in Applescript but illiterate in tcl can
use.

This is not a reinvention of the wheel, but on the contrary simply the
use of existing powerful tools.

The more complex tcl commands or suites of tcl commands could be
gathered as Applescript subroutines, if necessary, that would be easily
available for those, who are neither experts in Applescript or tcl.

Claus

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>