[OS X TeX] Getting M-v to Work

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jan 5 19:43:17 CET 2005

Howdy,

I don't have a record of who/when wanted the pagedown/up with cursor
movement in TeXShop but I do remember that the pagedown (Ctl-v) was already
active but the pageup (Meta-v) wasn't since the Meta key is also the Option
key and pressing it gives a ˆ (square root) sign. You can change the key
bindings (for all Cocoa text insertion apps?) by simply putting

{
    /* Additional Emacs binding */
    "~v" = "pageUp:";
}

in a text file you call DefaultKeyBinding.dict and placing it in
~/Library/KeyBindings/ (creating the directory if it doesn't exist). Log out
and back in and you've got the pageup bound to Meta-v. Of course you've lost
the ˆ (square root) binding. All other bindings remain the same.

While I haven't tested it in everything, this seems to work well in TeXShop,
iTeXMac and SubEthaEdit. It doesn't work in BBEdit and AlphaX since those
are not Cocoa apps but both have their own built-in ways of changing the key
bindings to be more emacs-like.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>