[OS X TeX] latest TeX i-Package?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 3 21:30:31 CET 2005

Am 03.01.2005 um 20:53 schrieb Gary L. Gray:

> I would like to update to the latest TeX installation from Gerben's
> stuff, but after the recent discussion I am wondering the best way to
> do it. I currently have installed TL 2004 from early December. Should
> I completely uninstall it before installing the latest TL?

No, this really is not necessary. It's hard to guarantee, but you can
be pretty sure that elder files are updated, overwritten or substituted
with a newer version. What I did not see is what happens to outdated
files, if for example some style or class is substituted by a newer one
with a different name? The updating mechanism too saves some bandwidth
because not every archive in an i-Package has to be substituted with
the newer version.

>  Should I install TL 2004 or TL 2005?

It depends -- would you like to have something stable or are you out
for adventures? I'm using TL2005 since a few days when I tried to
repeat that enc failure, with the wrong TeXLive system. I can't say
anything negative about TL2005, it just works! I did not try microstyle
up to manipulating the font ...

>  Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Keep and maintain your texmf.local tree and do the Expert install! The
system installed this way is a renewed copy of the old one.

--
Greetings

   Pete

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>