[OS X TeX] Superscripts for ordinals

Doug Fields dfields-macosx-tex-0205 at pexicom.com
Mon Feb 28 20:47:09 CET 2005

I apologize for the extremely basic nature of this question and the
fact that it is not directly Mac OS X related. Having read through the
Not-So-Short introduction to LaTeX and having googled around, I can't
seem to determine a definitive answer.

Is there a way to get a standard "superscript" in LaTeX easily?

I use ordinals for my document extensively (relating to dates): January
24th, for example, where I like the th superscript. So, I type:

January 24$^{\mathrm{th}}$

each time, which seems cumbersome and error-prone. Is there something
easier predefined?

However, to continue on in this thread... If nothing exists, would
someone give me a definition for doing something like

\ss{th}

or even

\th{}
\nd{}
\st{}
\rd{}

Or even better

\ord{} which checks the previous character and gives the appropriate
superscript ordinal extension (for English, anyway; I'm sure others can
add the iemes and whatever they want). Possibly \ord{21} which does the
same thing but takes the information in there.

Eventually I'll receive some of these books (already ordered) and I'm
sure will learn how to do simple things like these, but until then...

Thanks,

Doug

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>