[OS X TeX] OT: Good cheap laser printer?

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Feb 19 15:24:30 CET 2005

Folks,

I am going to get a new printer at home. I used to have a NeXTprinter
(400dpi Canon Laser engine) connected to a NeXT as my printer, but this
has gone into storage because of space constraints. Since them I have
been working with a Canon S630 Inkjet and that printer produces
terrible ugly output, jagged fonts etc. The same document prints sharp
on any laser printer I try it on (color or monochrome).

I have been looking into a laser printer replacement and it seems I can
go for a HP 1010, a Lexmark 232 or a Samsung or Brother 2030 (all b&w).
Though some say they have higher resolutions, all seem to be running
basically a 600x600 dpi setup. Color is a bit expensive still for the
volume I print at home.

I am looking for advice. What do typesetting-quality-sensitive people
prefer for a laser printer that produces sharp output, preferably has
double sided printing, a small footprint and of course
Mac-compatibility?

Thanks,

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>