[OS X TeX] Replace LaTeX????

Joachim Kock jkock at ya.com
Tue Feb 15 09:50:01 CET 2005

Paul McCann wrote:

> TextMate's LaTeX support is evolving: it's still not at the stage where
> it can match something like TeXShop or iTeXMac, but there are a few
> LaTeX bundles in flux at the moment, and the developer seems quite keen
> on improving the LaTeX support.

<snip>

Will Robertson wrote:

> That is fantastic news!
> I've started to become accustomed to Emacs, but an app with both emacs
> AND mac key bindings would suit me better.

<snip>

> I would be very interested in hearing if/when there are any big
> announcements on this front.

Perhaps you should have a look at AlphaX?

   http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/Alpha/AlphaX/

Alpha's LaTeX mode is very powerful, with everything you can dream of in
terms of completions, document navigation, interaction with bibtex files,
syntax colouring, auto-indentation, comment handling, etc, and it has some
unique features like typeset-the-selection, compile-automatisation, and
smart error-browsing.  Integration with tetex and previewers is very
smooth.

In general Alpha is just as powerful as emacs when it comes to
customisation: it is easy to set up precisely the keybindings you want, or
implement new functionality by writing your own scripts.  Also, like in
emacs, you can drive other unix applications (e.g. you run maxima as a
subprocess of Alpha, or send email by smtp over a socket, and such geeky
things).  But at the same time Alpha has always been a Mac editor, and its
interface is much more Mac-like than emacs'.  You can also do things I
think it would be difficult to do in emacs, like controlling iTunes or
read-write interaction with the Addressbook.

Cheers,
Joachim.

PS: I am sort of embarrassed that my only contributions to this list
consist in praising Alpha, but Alpha is really the pivot of my latex
activity, and unfortunately I haven't got much knowledge of font mappings
or graphics conversion to contribute with...
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>