[OS X TeX] Replace LaTeX????

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Fri Feb 11 22:34:38 CET 2005

Since I seem to have opened Pandorra's box here some clarifications:

- I don't want a discussion on the merits of LaTeX. People have
different needs and different workflows. LaTeX is currently the best
solution for me, but this doesn't mean that there wont be a better one
in the future.

- I am constantly reading and re-reading the text I'm writing. I want
to see what I work on, and I want to see the way it will look in the
end. That's why I like WYSIWYG solutions. But I also love the "set up
once, forget about the formatting" approach of LaTeX. The ideal
solution for me was Framemaker which really was the best of both
worlds.

-  Footnote collapsing was only one example for what I consider LaTeX's
weaknesses. And yes, I know Emacs, I tried it, and decided that it's
too un-Macish for my taste. I know Auctex and RefTeX offer terrific
functions, but I really don't see the point in getting used to a very
non-Mac way when I have real OSX apps.

Again, your needs and preferences may vary, and that's ok. Frankly, I
don't believe that I any app will be ready to replace LaTeX for me in
in time. But OTOH, I'm also a geek and will constantly look for new,
sexier solutions.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel