[OS X TeX] graphic conversion

Peder Axensten peder at axensten.se
Fri Feb 11 09:16:10 CET 2005

I do my slides with LaTeX. IMHO it has many advantages.
• I use the same graphics for both article and presentation.
• Parts of the LaTeX code that are the same in the article and on a
slide I lift out to an external file that I call from both. When I find
errors they are corrected everywhere. Makes reusing old slides real
easy too.
• Using hyperref I can add links (contents, to skip parts etc.)
• Using a home brew slides class, I can choose output to be one of the
following:
     - 1, 2, 4, or 8 slides per page.
     - 1, 2, or 4 slides, each with space for annotations, per page.
     - 1, 2, or 4 slides, each with my (in LaTeX) notes, per page.
• Any computer can show my slides with no hassle as it is a pdf with
everything including, anymations excluded. I haven't found a way to
make them included in the pdf.

On 11 feb 2005, at 08.03, Denis Chabot wrote:

> Wow, I got many very useful answers to my question about spaces in
> file names, thank you.
>
> With hope of as much success here is another question. I posted it on
> the R for Mac list (r-sig-mac at stat.math.ethz.ch) and people have tried
> to help me but we did not find the ultimate solution yet.
>
> More and more I do my scientific plots with R. The output looks very
> good and the plots are pdf files cropped to show just the plot
> (instead of a small plot on a full page like you get in other graphics
> packages that produce pdf only through "print as pdf").
>
> This is perfect when I produce a LaTeX document.
>
> But I sometimes must show my results in a PowerPoint presentation
> (Keynote is not an option with the computer I have at the moment). You
> must know that Microsoft has not managed to make its apps able to
> import pdf graphics. Oh they let you insert such files. But some
> rasterization happens without you being told, and at a low resolution
> making the plots look very fuzzy, even at screen resolution. They look
> awful blown on a wall, let me tell you.
>
> At least PowerPoint has always imported vector graphics in the pict
> format. Still does. I also make graphs with KaleidaGraph and vector
> pict files are easy to produce and import in PowerPoint. They look
> very crisp, as you'd expect. The look I'd like my pdf plots to have!
>
> So I thought it should be easy to take a vector pdf graphic and turn
> it into a vector pict file. I was wrong. I tried Preview, Illustrator,
> Graphic Converter, Intaglio. They all say they can convert pdf to
> pict. But they all produce a raster pict.
>
> Does anybody here know of a way to do this?
>
> I'd also like to go from vector pict to vector pdf to include plots
> produced with KaleidaGraph into LaTeX documents...
>
> Thanks
>
> Denis
> p.s. I've complained to Microsoft, so maybe they'll fix this within
> the next decade

> List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>

/Peder
+46-90-786.7719 (work)