[OS X TeX] Search paths, Custom formats in TeXShop

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Feb 10 14:54:20 CET 2005

To create a custom format first create a folder called custom-formats
or whatever you like. Suppose your format should be called myformat,
then save a document named  myformat.ini in that directory. Below is a
copy of my own custom format that may serve as a template as far as the
structure is concerned. The document myformat.ini should contain all
relevant packages and commands of yours with a few exceptions:

1. It has to start with
\input latex.ltx
but notice that latex.ltx ends with  the command \endinput which is not
what you want. Hence  save a copy of latex.ltx without that command in
your directory.

2. Enter all packages and commands you need except those that react to
your tex document by writing files like index.sty, mfpic, etc. These
packages have to loaded be in your particular tex documents.

3. Create your custom format by using the command in the terminal
(working directory=custom-formats)
pdftex -ini myformat.ini

4. A binary file will be created, place it in
~/Library/texmf/web2c

5. Create a shell script like

#!/bin/tcsh
# flashmode
# Claus Gerhardt
# December 2004
# Usage
# flashmode filename.tex
# pdflatex can be replaced by other shell commands,
# that are called with one argument

set path= ($path /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current
/usr/local/bin)

pdflatex -shell-escape -fmt myformat  "$1"

#end

and use it for typesetting.

6. The tex file you want the custom format applied to should start with
\usepackage{those which have not been loaded in the custom format}
possible additional commands
\begin{document}

\end{document}

Claus

\ifx\pdfoutput\undefined
\else
   \ifx\pdfoutput\relax
   \else
     \input pdftexconfig
     \pdfoutput=1
   \fi
\fi

\scrollmode
\input latex.ltx
%\input amsbook.cls
\documentclass[ippaper]{amsbookmod}
\usepackage[german,USenglish,english]{babel}
\special{papersize=6in,10in}
\usepackage{pdfsync}
\usepackage{graphicx}
%\usepackage[metapost]{mfpic}
%\nomplabels

\RequirePackage{mathmacrosB}
\settocsectionwidth{99.99}
%\setlength{\cba}{0.7\linespacing plus 4.19998pt}

\RequirePackage{upref}
\RequirePackage{amsthm}
\RequirePackage{enumerate}%\begin{enumerate}[(i)]
\usepackage[mathscr]{eucal}

%\usepackage[matrix,arrow]{xy}
\usepackage{pb-diagram}

\usepackage{xr-hyper}

%\dgHORIZPAD=1em
%\dgVERTPAD=1ex

%\listfiles

\setlength{\textwidth}{4.606truein}%Springer
%\textheight=18.9cm
%\textheight=8.2in
\textheight=7.62truein%7.45in

\topmargin=0cm

\oddsidemargin=-0.30315in

\evensidemargin=-0.30315in
\voffset=0in

\headsep=20pt

\newlength{\tlen}
\settowidth{\tlen}{\Huge {\letterspace to 1.2\naturalwidth {Graduate
Series in Analysis}}}
\newlength{\tmlen}
\setlength{\tmlen}{(\textwidth - \tlen)/2}

%\baselineskip=12pt

%\parindent=18pt
%\normalparindent=\thmskip

%\parskip=0pt plus 1pt

\hfuzz=1pt

%\frenchspacing

\tolerance=500

%\abovedisplayskip=3mm plus6pt minus 4pt

%\belowdisplayskip=3mm plus6pt minus 4pt

%\abovedisplayshortskip=0mm plus6pt minus 2pt

%\belowdisplayshortskip=2mm plus4pt minus 4pt

%\predisplaypenalty=0

%\clubpenalty=10000

%\widowpenalty=10000

%\setlength{\abovedisplayskip}{\cma}