[OS X TeX] I do like ps4pdf

Michael Hoppe mh at michael-hoppe.de
Wed Feb 9 17:19:18 CET 2005

>  Howdy,

As well,

>  I think I said that once the file has been processed once using this all
>  further processing could just be with pdflatex.

Sorry, I didn't got this.

>   >>  #process the file
>>>   pdflatex --shell-escape "$1"
>>
>>  Did you think of the use of
>>
>>     %&latex
>>
>>  resp.
>>
>>     %&pdflatex
>>
>  at the very beginning of the main .tex-file?

>  Are you using Gerben Wierda's distribution?

What else?  :-)

>  If so, do you mean that the
>  %&latex at the start of the file will call altpdflatex?

No, but instead (excerpt from the log-file):

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20b-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
(format=pdflatex 2005.1.30)  9 FEB 2005 17:04
entering extended mode
**siid.tex
(./siid.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
(etc)

>  In that case the
>  dvips call will not add the ``-Ppdf -o "${basefname}-pics.ps"'' options
>  unless specifically added by a script and, likewise, the ps2pdf13 call will
>  not be for "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}-pics.pdf".

This is clear as the blue sky.

>  If it's a
>  different distribution I wouldn't know how the processing would follow a
>  different course.

Like this.  Presume, the first line of the main tex-file is %&latex,
tetexComm.tcl is forced to do:

set cmd "echo \r ; dvips -Ppdf -o $texRun(jobName)-pics.ps
$texRun(jobName).dvi 2>&1 ; \
	  echo \r ; ps2pdf14 $texRun(jobName)-pics.ps
$texRun(jobName)-pics.pdf 2>&1 ; \
	echo \r ; pdflatex $texRun(jobName).tex"

If the first line reads %&pdflatex, pdflatex is invoced.

>  All in all, use whatever works well in your environment.

Well, I do, after some (painful) experiences to run pstricks and
microtype alltogether.

>  I make no claim to
>  have the only or even the best solution.

Nor do I.  Maybe Joachim, the autor of tetexComm.tcl, is able to find
an even better solution.

>  Good Luck,

As well, again,

Michael

--
-= Michael Hoppe <www.michael-hoppe.de>, <mh at michael-hoppe.de> =-----
-= Key fingerprint = 74 FD 0A E3 8B 2A 79 82 25 D0 AD 2B 75 6A AE 63