[OS X TeX] \ifthenelse in \author ?

Josep M.Font pepf54 at tiscali.es
Tue Feb 8 13:31:52 CET 2005

El 08 feb 2005, a las 0:37, Ross Moore escribió:

> Le 2 févr. 05, à 16:49, Josep M.Font a écrit :
>
>> By the way, I don't know if this is a bug or whatever: Inside
>> \author{...} you can break a line with a \\, and even with a \\[1ex],
>> but it disregards the additional space. But if you use \\[0.5ex] then
>> \maketitle complains "missing number, treated as 0..."! Just being
>> curious...
>
> Well, the logical meaning of \author is to indicate that it's argument
> refers to who is the author. It's only a happy accident that you can
> split this information across several lines, breaking at specified
> places.

Oh, yes, your are right that in general such command has an important
logical function, besides placing its contents through \maketitle... I
was using a given template which used amsart, just to produce a
one-page abstract. What surprised me is that both \\ and \\[1ex]
worked, but the optional argument was disregarded, while \\[0.5ex]
simply didn't. I have finally produced a hand-made template which does
exactly what I want.

Thanks to Bruno and Ross for your constributions to our knowledge of
TeX.

Josep Maria Font

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>