[OS X TeX] bookmarks in PDFs without hyperref?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sun Feb 6 01:08:00 CET 2005

On Feb 5, 2005, at 5:19 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> I would like to be able to insert booksmarks in PDF files without
> using the hyperref package. The reason I don't want to (can't?) use
> the hyperref package is that it conflicts with something else I am
> doing in the document in question (it loads 25-30 packages and we have
> defined a ton of our own stuff) and I can't figure out what that
> conflict is. Anyway, the hyperref package does way more than I need in
> this instance and I only want to insert bookmarks for each chapter,
> section, and the like. I assume that it is just inserting some sort of
> PDF special into the output, so is there some way I can do that by
> inserting something into my LaTeX source files at the right place?
>
> A Google search overwhelming brings up references to hyperref, so I am
> a little lost.

OK, a little more searching turned up the dvipdfm user's manual and web
page at:

<http://www.uni-koeln.de/math-nat-fak/tcchem/mitarbeiter/weber/weber/
Phd-MINI-HOWTO.html>

that both indicate that I should be able to insert:

\special{pdf: docview << /PageMode /UseOutlines >> }

right after the \begin{document} command and then insert:

\special{pdf: out 1 << /Title (3 Particle Kinetics: Equations of
Motion) /Dest [ @thispage /FitH @ypos ] >>}

in the appropriate location in the source and I should get the
bookmarks that I want. When I do this, upon opening the PDF, Acrobat
tells me:

An unrecognized token 'docview' was found.

and I don't get any bookmarks. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

-- Gary

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>