[OS X TeX] a question concerning the file system

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 22 23:29:37 CET 2005

On 22 Dec 2005, at 22:48, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> Yes, there is a big one: they will get deleted!
>>
>> Not so fast. /Library/teTeX is actually a link to /usr/local/
>> tetex, so as long as you use texmf.local in either location,
>> you'll be fine... texmf.local is meant for your own packages. This
>> location should be left untouched by the i-Installer during upgrades.
>>
>>> Friedrich, the proper system-wide place is /Library/teTeX/share/
>>> texmf.local or /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local.
>>
>> That is the same location.
>>

> Therefore I used 'or,' otherwise I would have used 'and.' Could you
> try to parse Friedrich's first sentence again? Do you see the last
> slash in his path value?

Yes, you're right - the .local, .whatever is missing. I'm sorry.
Something else: the path starts with a period, better make that an
absolute path. The link in the finder at /Library/teTeX should be
helpful there. I think the 'howtexfindsfiles' is rehashed completely
here now, unless there are more questions, I consider things closed.

Maarten