[OS X TeX] pdf font coding problems ???

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 17:40:30 CET 2005

Kuipers kprs wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2005, at 7:27 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> ......... Alas, new is not always good...
>>
>> Themis
>> SO VERY TRUE ! jbk
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>>
>>> A few years ago I discarded Illustrator for similar reasons and
>>> decided to create graphics with the help of metapost using mfpic as
>>> a convenient "frontend". This means of course that pdflatex is the
>>> underlying tex engine.
>>>
>>> In my opinion any mathematician will love the beauty and ease of
>>> metapost compared with the clumsy features of Illustrator.
>>>

>>> And to Claus --- I COULDN'T AGREE MORE about ILLUSTRATOR.
>>>
> Almost 10 years ago I worked hard (perhaps not hard enough, some might
> say, and I might agree) using Textures and Superpaint to do the text
> and graphics in my effort to write a book. Superpaint was (and still
> IS!) a great graphics program (for the Mac up to OS 9). I drew every
> illustration (over 100 illustrations) personally, in (what turned out
> to be) my Quaternion Book. I now want to do a revision although PUP
> did a subsequent paperback version which corrected many typos.
>
> BUT THEN, Adobe bought Superpaint from ALDUS, and promptly put it on
> their shelf --- presumably to let it die. That was a sad day for me.
> Adobe chose instead to promote their Illustrator (in my view, a lessor
> program). WHY did they do that? --- I do not know. Anyway, later I
> even bought Illustrator thru a few versions. Really, gave it a
> 'college-try', but, finally GAVE UP.
>
> Various times at AMS/MAA meetings I challenged Illustrator people to
> do what I clearly was able to do with Superpaint with a certain amount
> of alacrity. Yet, In my view, they COULD NOT do an equivalent drawing
> using Illustrator! Admittedly, a rather personal matter and judgement,
> and perhaps it was too time consuming for them --- when their primary
> mission, of course is "trying to sell a graphics program called
> Illustrator to hapless folk." Sorry, but why did they shelve-it? Why
> not develop SuperPaint further? Dollars? Legal Matters?
>
> I sure do wish I could, or someone could resurrect SuperPaint --- even
> though there are other Mac OSX Graphics Programs out there (e.g.
> EazyDraw, to mention a great one) that are excellent alternatives that
> are (again, in my view) truly far more powerful than Illustrator.
>
> I feel better now "having vented my spleen." Sorry for the RANT ---
> not really; I did need it.
>
> With this comment, I really do intend to be constructive and
> instructive --- to users who want to do Graphics, and also to Adobe.
> PLEASE DO NOT KILL IT. BUT,
> IF YOU MUST ----- Please, send it back to me with your blessing ---
> and/or admonishment.

I have never had any luck with illustrator and used Canvas for a long,
long time … until I couldn't take it anymore. Now I am using Intaglio
and am completely happy with it. Just what I needed and wanted. I don't
know if it can import Superpaint but, for that, you might want to write
to Nick Nallick. <nick at PurgatoryDesign.com>. In fact, they are very
"open to suggestions".

For instance, I needed to be able to save two copies of each drawing,
one in Intaglio format for editing and another in cropped pdf for
including in LaTeX. I was eventually able to convince them to let each
command remember separately the folder where to save. It saved me a huge
amount of time and frustation. They are now also handling SVG.

Regards
--schremmer