[OS X TeX] status of Spotlight indexing of .tex files?

Norm Gall gall at spookyhill.net
Tue Dec 20 22:36:20 CET 2005

On 20-Dec-05, at 1:29 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2005, at 1:29 PM, Norm Gall wrote:

>> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301533 tells you
>> _exactly_ what folders are searched by Spotlight by default:
>
> Howdy,
>
> The last paragraph in that docuemnt also points out how to tell
> Spotlight NOT to search a given directory branch. Unfortunately
> you've got to play a (fairly simple) game so that it doesn't index
> an external drive permanently.
>
> In addition, I'd like to see Spotlight Preferences have a tab to
> permanently add (forced if necessary) directory trees to index so
> there would be no need to use SpotlightIndexer.

I have been experimenting with a Pref Pane that would do just this.
It lists all of the directories being indexed (including externals),
list the active mdimporters, and let a user import a specific file.
Don't hold your breath though :)  Its a mess right now and probably
explains why I over-engineer my instructions. I am never really sure
when Spotlight changes its behaviour.

>> Overriding these defaults is trivial with SpotlightIndexer and
>> marginally less trivial with the Terminal.
>>
>> ng
>
> I use SpotlightIndexer to force the indexing of the teTeX directory
> tree with great success. I also force the indexing of some of the
> Developer Documentation, etc.

Same here.

> I've mentioned to the developer of SpotlightIndexer that is would
> be nice to allow one to choose a subset of the list of directories
> SpotlightIndexer indexes so I don't have to drop items from the
> list when I want to re-index a directory tree; e.g., using check
> boxes as in iTunes. He thought it might be a good idea so I'll wait
> and see what transpires.

Well, that would save me a lit of trouble too.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt
of in your
philosophy.
William Shakespeare
Hamlet in Hamlet, 1601