[OS X TeX] pdf font coding problems

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Tue Dec 20 20:25:47 CET 2005

Here is the report from pdffonts. I run it on three files:

fig1.pdf: illustrator figure with copy/pasted latex annotation (view
sample: http://melina.local/~themis/fig1.pdf, see axes of fig1).

GOOD_file.pdf: pdflatex output of latex file with \includefig{fig1},
typeset on Dec 9 - this file shows the latex annotation properly w/o
font substitutions (view sample: http://melina.local/~themis/p13-
good.pdf, see axes of fig1).

BAD_file.pdf: pdflatex output of latex file with \includefig{fig1},
typeset on Dec 20 - this file displays the latex annotation
incorrectly using font substitutions (view sample: http://
melina.local/~themis/p13-bad.pdf, see axes of fig1).

The only difference between good and bad is that good was compiled on
latex before updating to the newest tex installation while bad
afterwards.

fig1.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
QMFJOK+Helvetica                     TrueType     yes yes no      56  0
PEVDAM+CMMI10                        Type 1C      yes yes no      63  0
PEVDAM+CMR8                          Type 1C      yes yes no      65  0
QMFJOK+Symbol                        CID TrueType yes yes yes     58  0
PEVDAM+CMR10                         Type 1C      yes yes no      67  0

Good_file.pdf - no font substitution in fig1
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
HEAKSR+CMMI10                        Type 1       yes yes no      11  0
HEAKSR+CMMI10                        Type 1       yes yes yes     29  0
HSTHWE+CMEX10                        Type 1       yes yes yes     25  0
NJURPD+CMSY8                         Type 1       yes yes yes     28  0
FRUYLS+Helvetica                     TrueType     yes yes no      17  0
PMGSPD+CMR7                          Type 1       yes yes no      26  0
XQMZFR+CMSY10                        Type 1       yes yes yes     14  0
ZBPUPD+CMR10                         Type 1       yes yes no      23  0
ZNFMGD+Symbol                        TrueType     yes yes yes     19  0
VZCRVJ+CMMI8                         Type 1       yes yes no      15  0
ZLCKPS+CMR8                          Type 1       yes yes no      12  0
VDZTCS+CMR8                          Type 1       yes yes no      22  0
JDEFJM+CMR10                         Type 1       yes yes no       9  0
JDEFJM+CMR10                         Type 1       yes yes yes     10  0
FBQGLG+CMMI10                        Type 1       yes yes no      21  0

BAD_file - with font substitution in fig1
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
VVKSXD+CMMI8                         Type 1       yes yes no      15  0
ZJPSXD+CMR10                         Type 1C      yes yes no      23  0
LOANOD+Symbol                        TrueType     yes yes yes     19  0
DKOWXD+CMMI10                        Type 1C      yes yes no      21  0
JJLWXD+CMR8                          Type 1       yes yes no      12  0
PIIWXD+CMR8                          Type 1C      yes yes no      22  0
PEMLSM+CMR10                         Type 1       yes yes no       9  0
PEMLSM+CMR10                         Type 1       yes yes yes     10  0
RXOAGG+CMMI10                        Type 1       yes yes no      11  0
RXOAGG+CMMI10                        Type 1       yes yes yes     29  0
JRHMEF+CMEX10                        Type 1       yes yes yes     25  0
RLUWXD+CMR7                          Type 1       yes yes no      26  0
NDFYLS+Helvetica                     TrueType     yes yes no      17  0
ZPAEOR+CMSY10                        Type 1       yes yes yes     14  0
PIIWXD+CMSY8                         Type 1       yes yes yes     28  0

Thanks for all the suggestions. tm