Off list: Re: [OS X TeX] status of Spotlight indexing of .tex files?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Dec 20 17:28:40 CET 2005

On Dec 20, 2005, at 9:43 AM, Jan Hegewald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Am 20.12.2005 um 13:17 schrieb Josep M. Font:
>
> [...]
>> I agree (with Stephen). I find this thread amazing, and warns me
>> against upgrading to Tiger (now happy with Panther 10.3.9). Why
>> shouldn't *every* (text?) file in my hard disk be indexed and
>> searched even with a normal "find" operation in the Finder ?
>
> if you consider to upgrade to Tiger just because of Spotlight: don
> ´t do it.
> Spotlight is very premature at this time and I hope it will be
> improved soon. It does not search every text file, as you already
> mentioned and it omits a lot of folders. If I search for some text
> and Spotlight returns nothing, I always have to wonder if the
> relevant files are simply skipped. So I have to use find from
> Terminal or TextWrangler to be sure. One can not rely on the
> results of a Spotlight search )-;
>
> Cheers,
> --Jan

Howdy,

You can also find files using Locate, a GUI interface to the locate
data base. Of course that must be updated.

Understand that while Spotlight doesn't index all text files that
might be a blessing. Also, what tool do you use that does any
indexing of the content of files rather than simply the file name?

Yes, I wish Spotlight would at least index all file names so Find
File would simply work like it used to but you can force the indexing
of many directories that aren't indexed by default and the contents
of those directories don't usually change very rapidly.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)